Thursday, August 12, 2010

Identity

Camp meeting began tonight. I am sooo disappointed that I could not stay for the whole thing. But at least I was there for the first speaker. It was our pastor from Madras and he spoke on our identities. It was powerful and itreally spoke to me.

When my husband left me 12 years ago, my world turned upside down. I suddenly was not a wife, then I was not a pastor and motherhood was slipping away as well. I remember standing before God and crying out to Him ..."Who am I?" The reality was that my identity is not in what I do or in what people think about me, my identity is found in becoming the person God created me to be. That is a very freeing concept. I am still striving to live in the freedom that it brings. It is one of the reasons why when Gerrald left a year and a half ago  though it was heart breaking I did not question who that made me. It was a lesson I was already in the process of learning.

Tomorrow night I will see people who really want to know who I have become. It will be interesting to see how all of our lives intersect after all of these years. But tonight reminded me as much as I want to be liked and admired by my classmates, that it does not change who I am. I am ... who I am ..... and I think that is a good thing to be.

Just Connie

No comments: