Monday, August 16, 2010

Reunion Thoughts

I went to a large city high school. There were over 300 in my graduating class. It was a big shock to the system of this little country girl. But over the years I learned to adjust to a very different environment. In many ways that experience taught me to adapt and also to accept a wide variety of people. I made many friends in all economic and racial backgrounds during my time there.


My High School Class Reunion was this past weekend. I had a wonderful time. I got to see some folks who were special friends in school and some that I did not know very well in school. What I found was that my classmates have grown into wonderful people. I had so much fun just getting to know them.

I was a class officer and one of the benefits is that they put you to work during the reunions. I got to be a greeter and that gave me the chance to talk to everyone as they came in. There was so room for any shyness and it gave me a good excuse to keep mingling and introducing myself. Though amazingly most of the people knew exactly who I was.

Another high spot of the evening was the chance to speak with several of my teachers. One was my PE teacher and Vice Principal Miss Elwood, who immediately recognized me (after 35 years, she deserved a medal). This incredibly kind woman encouraged me in so many ways in high school. She was the reason I had the courage to try the gymnastics team; where I lettered my freshman and sophomore year when most people were still on JV teams. She also took me on a tour of the school bell tower which was one of my high school highlights. I told her what a difference she made in my life and how grateful I was for the time she invested in me. She took my hands and told me that I was one of those rare students who made teaching a joy. My eyes filled with tears and I was floored and so completely blessed.

All in all, the reunion was a wonderful chance to connect and renew friendships that so enriched my high school years. I am hopeful that I will continue to hear from my classmates and I am looking forward to getting to know them better. Now I am ready for our next reunion.

Just Connie

No comments: