Sunday, August 15, 2010

Legalism

Legalism is alive and well in our churches around the world. The same issues Paul was speaking to, we are still fighting. Our passage today:

Galatians 2:1-10


1Fourteen years later I went up again to Jerusalem, this time with Barnabas. I took Titus along also. 2I went in response to a revelation and set before them the gospel that I preach among the Gentiles. But I did this privately to those who seemed to be leaders, for fear that I was running or had run my race in vain. 3Yet not even Titus, who was with me, was compelled to be circumcised, even though he was a Greek. 4This matter arose because some false brothers had infiltrated our ranks to spy on the freedom we have in Christ Jesus and to make us slaves. 5We did not give in to them for a moment, so that the truth of the gospel might remain with you.


6As for those who seemed to be important—whatever they were makes no difference to me; God does not judge by external appearance—those men added nothing to my message. 7On the contrary, they saw that I had been entrusted with the task of preaching the gospel to the Gentiles, just as Peter had been to the Jews. 8For God, who was at work in the ministry of Peter as an apostle to the Jews, was also at work in my ministry as an apostle to the Gentiles. 9James, Peter and John, those reputed to be pillars, gave me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship when they recognized the grace given to me. They agreed that we should go to the Gentiles, and they to the Jews. 10All they asked was that we should continue to remember the poor, the very thing I was eager to do.


Intro: In China until it was banned in 1905 China practiced a form of execution called Death by a 1,000 cuts. Legalism is the churches death by a 1,000 cuts

At root, legalism is our attempt to offer God the produce of our own hands. Like Cain, we imagine God is pleased with the harvest of human righteousness.

How do we know if we are dealing those cuts in our own church? Here are some of the danger signs of legalism:

• Rules & Regulations more important than personal righteousness

• Programs are more important people

• Transactional rather than transformational

• Focus inside the church rather than outside the church

• Behavior rather than Heart

• Know about God, rather than experience God

• Death instead of life

Conclusion: It is not about what we do for God …. It is about what God does in us.

"I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness [comes] through the law, then Christ died in vain." Galatians 2:21

Legalism makes a people centered church …. Grace and freedom makes it a Christ centered church.

We are the solution to legalism. Our hearts, our drive, our passion, our commitment to live in freedom and our commitment to extend Grace rather than rules.

Just Connie

No comments: