Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Bad Night

I had a bad night. It might be more accurate to say we had a bad night last night. Charlie my 10 year old sheepdog paced and whined and shook her head all night. It was the first indication she has given that she is in discomfort. But it was obvious that her head was hurting. And when she shakes those big flappy ears, it sounds like a helicopter taking off. So I knew every time she she did.

I have been so hopeful that the antibiotics had solved whatever was going on with her. Now I am not sure. I guess tonight will tell me whether it was a one night problem or whether we will be taking a trip to the vets tomorrow.

The bottom line is that I do not want her to suffer. If she is in discomfort I will let her go. She has been a faithful partner to me. She has followed me up mountains and down rocky cliffs. She learned to walk on logs over the river and was a warm spot at my back on icy nights. She galloped at my side when I skied and her gentle good nature blessed everyone she came into contact with.

She has been my friend and I do not want to say goodbye. But I might not get a choice about this. I am praying for a different outcome. Tonight will tell me a lot.

Just Connie

No comments: