Sunday, December 5, 2010

Light Parade

Last night was the Willamina Light parade. We had worked hard on the float all day long. We untangled lights, tested and then hung and wired until everything was covered. We hooked in the inverter and fired it all  up... it looked great if I do say so myself.

Before I knew it, it was time to grab Charlie my parade hound of a sheepdog and head to the staging area. I put Charlie in her lighted tutu and Santa hat and we wandered around and looked at all the amazing floats.
And then ... it was time the parade was beginning we were off and running. Literally ... running. I had trouble keeping up with the float for the first quarter mile. I finally caught up and smacked the side of the truck and gasped to the driver to "slow down". It was about that time that the float lights went out. Luckily we had an extra rider who could walk along and keep resetting the inverter. That happened about every two minutes.

The parade was over all too soon. I stood there in the dark surround by all the floats, laughing people and glittering lights and was so warmed by the experience. It was a wonderful feeling.

There is something powerful about living in a small town ... about the connection we have with each other. I think it comes of the knowledge that we need each other. To be known and valued is a wonderful thing. I am so glad to be living here. God knew what He was doing when He brought me here. I think there are good things ahead.

Just Connie

No comments: