Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas

Merry Christmas! It is now Christmas evening and I am sitting in front of a roaring fire reflecting on the day. I woke up early (thanks to my dogs) and went and jumped on mom and dad's bed. Of course they were already awake and I drug the stocking presents in and we opened presents and laughed at the dogs.

Charlie (my sheepdog) having years of experience, knew what to do with her stocking gifts and ripped them open to get the good stuff inside. Hope puppy was pretty confused about why we kept trying to get her to tear open the presents when we always tell her "No, no don't chew". But once she had a ball opened she was useless for anything but chasing the ball. She had a grand Christmas and loved her new balls.

After gifts, I packed up the doggies and headed back home to Willamina. I have to admit to feeling a bit sad. I missed the kids, missed the companionship of married life and hated being alone on Christmas. But as I unpacked the car I decided I was going to just enjoy the day I was given. I unpacked, put on Christmas music and turned on all the tree lights. About the time I was beginning to feel sad again, I had friends stop in to say Merry Christmas. it was a wonderful blessing and really cheered me up.

I ended the day with dinner with friends. I had such a good time with them. Fabulous food and  wonderful friends. The evening was filled with love and laughter. It was a balm to my heart. I am so grateful for their kindness.

All in all Christmas was a good day. I came away from the holiday celebrations knowing I am loved. I also came away knowing that I need to develop new traditions. I need to steer away from trying to make Christmas like it used to be and just let it be what it is. It is not about the trappings and the traditions, it is about the gift of Christ. God wrapped in humanity. That is enough .... for even me.

Just Connie

No comments: