Sunday, December 19, 2010

Candle Light Service

Tonight was the candlelight service. I walked into the sanctuary and stood in awe ..... it was filled with hundreds of candles. The window sills the steps, everything had candles on it. It was beautiful. As people came in we gave everyone a candle of their own. There was a festive feeling in the air and the people streamed in.

The program began with Christmas songs ... lots and lots of songs, then there was special music. The children sang, some very talented adults and more singing for everyone. Then it was time for the Christmas story. The story was beautifully narrated as Mary and Joseph made their way through the sanctuary with Baby Jesus cradled in their arms.

As I sat there I was struck by a sense of rightness. I was back where I needed to be, doing what God had called me to do. I felt the tears come to my eyes as I savored the moment. I stood and made my way to the front and shared this scripture. 

"When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12

I shared, "When we have Christ we are never in the darkness, we bring His light with use where ever we go."  I slowly lit my candle from the Christ candle on the Advent Wreath and walked down the aisle lighting candles as I went. Each person turned and lit the candle of those sitting next to them. Soon the sanctuary glowed with the light of over a hundred more candles.

I came away tonight filled with peace and so grateful for the gifts and talented of the congregation and their willingness to serve. We are points of light shining in the darkness and that is a very good thing.

Just Connie


No comments: