Monday, February 13, 2017

Treatment Day

I hopped out of bed at 4:30am and jumped in the shower. I knew it would be my only chance to shower before my treatment. After my shower, I put my makeup on, laid out all the medications and medical supplies I would need and took the gamma globulin out of the fridge so it could come to room temperature.

By  then it was time for yoga class, so I headed over to the Molloy Farm for my early morning yoga. I always enjoy it and I think it is especially important on treatment days. I need to be up moving around and exercising as much as I can before the drugs kick in.

On my way back from yoga I alway call mom and dad and check to see how they are doing and to update them on me. There is always lots of laughing and silliness that lifts my heart and prepares me for the day.

Arriving home, I took the first of my pre meds, I cooked my breakfast, packed my lunch, changed my clothes, got all the electrolyte drinks I would need during treatment including diet 7 for the expected upset stomach. I packed everything in bags by the door as I waited for my ride to the fire station. I then took my next round of pre drugs, knowing that these would make me fuzzy within the hour, but would help with things like the  itching, inflammation and nausea. My ride arrived and we made the short hop to the fire station where I carried my lunch, books, pillow and so on to my sleep room and began to lay out the treatment drugs and needles that would be used in a few minutes.

At 9am we began the process of placing the needles in the back of my arm and anchoring them down. Needles hooked to lines, hooked to lines attached to the pump. When everything was set the pump is started and it begins to slowly push the gamma globulin through the tubes and into my body.

From there I head to my sleep room, where I do a little bit of reading, a bit of sleeping and get checked on a lot by the staff and paramedics. About an hour in, I usually take a migraine drug and in 2-2.5 hours the gamma globulin has finished running. By then it is time it take another round of oral drugs for nausea and itching and try to have some lunch.

After lunch it is usually time for a tordal shot to help with the migraine and go back and sleep for the rest of the afternoon. Around 5 they check on nope and see if I am stable enough to go home and sleep. So they bundle me up , take me home and send me to bed.

And now I am just doing a quick run down of a treatment day while I can still string a couple coherent thoughts together. But my body is screaming for bed!

Tomorrow is a new day, thankfully ... Because it is going to be busy!

Just Connie

No comments: