Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Dad's Injury - Day 7

Life at the hospital is so different than life anywhere else. It is like visiting a far and distant foreign land. Over the years I have learned to speak the language fairly well, but it is still very much a foreign land.

As a pastor I am in and out of hospitals all the time. The one you find out fast is that it is different when it is your family member. This past week has been exhausting, frightening and somewhat disorientating. Even though I have worked hard to eat right, get adequate sleep and take care of myself. I can feel the toll it is taking on my emotions and physical body.

Tears lurk just under the surface, emotions run high and tolerance runs low. The trick through all of this is to find balance. The kind of balance that will keep you on the path when you are rocked by the various “slings and arrows”. Because enough slings and arrows can drive you off the path completely. I do not want that to happen to me.

“In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.” Ephesians 6:16

I am working hard trying to be a blessing to the family. I am trying to run interference for my mother and take some of this incredible burden and hurt from her when I can. This has been a horrible awful experience, interspersed with moments of beauty and joy. I am still confident that God will bring us through. What kind of journey it is will be up to us.

Just Connie

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"You are doing an AWESOME job my Daughter you are everything I could hope for in a daughter and I love you so much. You are being so helpful with your mom and that is so gracious of you. Thank you for glorifying me and praising me and giving me the credit. You are a true blessing to me!!!"
Love Your Father
God