Saturday, November 28, 2009

Odd Couple

Since my dog Bear has died my sheep dog Charlie and my rabbit Bubba have been carrying on this mutual admiration society. I noticed it the first day we got back. I walked into the family room and there was Charlie licking the rabbit. The rabbit was curled up and seemed to be absolutely happy to be soaking wet. I even walked over and told Bubba that maybe Charlie was "tasting" him. But that didn't seem to phase either one of them.

Since we have been back I have come across them at various times at it again. Sometimes I just notice a soaking wet bunny hopping by, other times I actually see Charlie grooming the bunny. It seems to be important to them. For some reason they are connecting in what seems to me to be a very odd way.

The reality is that they are connecting. As odd as it seems and as odd a pair that they are ... they are connecting. It reminds me that we all need to connect with people in ways that are meaningful to us. In the same way that Charlie and Bubba Bunny are seeking each other out, I need to continue to seek out others. It will help to give me strength for today and hope for tomorrow. It will help chase the cobwebs of sadness and loneliness away.

I need to commit to looking for ways to connect with others. That feels a little scary but I guess if a rabbit and a sheepdog can do it than I can do it as well. I can do this ... well as long as there is no licking involved.

"I am a friend to all who fear you" Psalm 119:63

Just Connie

No comments: