Friday, November 20, 2009

Un-Bearable


Pet’s have always been an important part of my life. I have had sheep, dogs, cats, gerbils, hamsters … well you get the idea. I have loved each and every one of them fiercely. Each of them have had unique personalities and taught me different things.

For the last 16 years, I have shared my house and my home with a small black terrier named Bear. He was blessed with a sunny disposition and not a lot of smarts. But it was impossible to not love him. Everyone he met was charmed by his bouncy good natured doggie self. I taught him a bevy of tricks which he would amaze and astound people.

Over the last year his health really began to fail. He was mostly blind and deaf and in the last 6 months was beginning to be confused. But he retained his sweet disposition and most people thought he was much younger than he was.

Last night about 2:00 in the morning he had a major stroke and he passed away on my lap at the vet’s office later in the morning. I admit that I am having trouble wrapping my mind around this loss. Bear has been such an integral part of my life for 16 years that I do not fully understand what it will mean to have him gone. I know that normally as I write this he would be curled up alongside me, hugging the warmth of the fan from the laptop … but when I look down now, there is just emptiness there.

My heart is sad and I do not think I want a house that is “un-Bear-able”. But yet here I am, yet another new chapter begins. I am not sure that I like this book.

“Anyone who is among the living has hope —even a live dog is better off than a dead lion!” Ecclesiastes 9:4

Just Connie

1 comment:

bmarquez said...

Oh Connie. . . . I can't believe another chunk from your heart. So sorry. You are in my prayers. Love you. Barb