Sunday, May 15, 2011

Masks

Masks .... they are the things we wear so people will not see us as we really are. We put them on so we will be the people we think we should be or the people someone else thinks we should be. I have to say that churches are often full of masks. And so often we do not have the time or the structure or the trust to take our masks off and be who we are.

I just spent the last three days taking masks off. It was challenging, wearing but very liberating. I saw women connecting with each in a very deep and meaningful way. As I watched some of them crying together today I was blessed to see how they cared for each other. I was even more blessed by the trust I saw.

I have to wonder what would happen in our churches if we were brave enough to take those masks off. To be who we are ... the good, the bad and the ugly. I think it would transform our churches, I think it would transform our lives. It is hard to see Christ behind the mask. I think I need to work on taking the mask off. I think that for the church to transform that it has to start with me.

This is me .... as I am. I am a work in progress and that is an okay thing to be.

Just Connie

No comments: