Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Reality of Ministry

This has been a challenging week. In pastoral speak I would say it has been a week of opportunities. That means it was full of heartache, problems and the chance to minister in very real ways. I have to say that the reality of ministry is often very messy.

It means sitting in court rooms and awaiting verdicts. It means giving parents news they do not want to hear. It means hugging a chain smoking, heart broken woman and not recoiling as the smoke wreaths around you. It means tackling tough issues and telling the truth in love. It means weeping with the grieving and answering the phone when you do not have time to talk. It is studying and writing while dealing with constant interruptions. It means unexpected hurt and unanticipated moments of joy.

There are weeks like this when the reality of ministry spills out of the nice neat boxes I make for it. And yet in those unanticipated and unexpected messes I find the reality of Christ in fresh new ways. I am reminded that it is not all about me. It is about Christ in me .... and that is enough for whatever I face.

Just Connie

1 comment:

Finchie2 said...

Thank you Connie for your heartfelt honesty!