Sunday, May 22, 2011

Rejection

Being a pastor is seldom a popularity contest. I would like it to be because frankly rejection is a huge issue for me. And in the pastorate there is a fair amount of rejection. Both very real rejection and what "feels" like rejection.

Today I confronted both kinds of rejection. First thing this morning a very sweet lady  that I consider a friend came and told me she is looking for a new church. She wanted "less music and more preaching". That was the start of my morning and it quickly got worse from there when someone who disagreed with an administrative decision I made, walked out of the service just before the sermon.

Though I keep telling myself that it was not a personal rejection of me ... it sure feels like it. This feels all too personal .... and all too familiar. It hurts and floods me with the hurt of past rejections. A tender unhealed spot that brings quick tears and discouragement.

So I am feeling the feelings... that I feel. I think that is the starting point to decide what comes next. I wish that what I am feeling just did not hurt so much. But the one thing I do know is that Christ is sufficient for this and there is joy on the other side.

Just Connie

2 comments:

caro_watt said...

My sweet Connie - I am sorry you are hurting. But being able to "sit" in those feelings is so good for us - or so they tell me. I am praying you find peace over this. I know how bad rejection - perceived or otherwise - feels. Know that I love you, I admire you, and I believe in you. Take care of you, my dear heart-friend.

Jill Yohn said...

Pastor Connie,

I sure appreciate the way you preach and bring the bible to life. Through you, the bible shows how relevant it is to today.

I feel blessed to know two such good head pastors since I've been coming to this church. I feel our church has been very blessed in its pastors.

Thank you for being you, Jill