Monday, May 2, 2011

Osama Thoughts

For the last 24 hours I have watched my friends and fellow Americans react to Osama bin Laden's death. I find that tonight I am troubled as I reflect on what I have seen.

First of all, I think that Bin Laden needed to be "sanctioned" for the safety of America and as a statement of our stance on Terrorism. However, I am distressed that we are celebrating his death. It brings back the memories of the Arab world celebrating when the towers fell. I was shocked then at their callow disregard of the horrendous loss of life. I am shocked now that Americans can callously celebrate anothers death.

As I thought about it today  I have thought back to the times when I had to spank my children. I did it because I had to, but I never said, "Whoo hoo! I just spanked my child". There was no glee in the punishment, it always hurt me. But yet here we are celebrating the fact that discipline was administered ... and that makes me sad.

I am sad that an evil man caused the deaths of so many innocent people, I am sad for how that changed our country. I am further saddened by how far we are from having the heart of God. Because I know that God is saddened by this, saddened by sin and saddened by our hardened hearts.

I guess when it comes down to it, it reminds me to check my heart and to pray, pray, pray. Because I think the only answer for us, for our country ..... for me is more of God.

Just Connie

1 comment:

caro_watt said...

Cliff put it this way: He said in his sermon today that he believes God said to him, "Osama, Osama, you who killed my people because you hated, how often would I have gathered you to me as a hen gathers her chicks, but you would not."

I am not sorry he he is gone, but I do not celebrate his death. I believe Jesus was greatly saddened by the death of this man - who, whether we like it or not, was also one of God's created children. My Bible says it is the will of God that none should perish, but that all should come to a saving knowledge of Christ. I am sorrowed at this man's ignorance and the pain he chose in life, and even more so at what he must be facing in death.