Thursday, May 5, 2011

Mentor Thoughts

I met with my mentor today. This is a fairly new relationship. I have never had a mentor before. I have often had people I learned a great deal from but I've never been in a formal mentor relationship. This has been rich and challenging so far.

My mentor is a fairly well known author, pastor and church planter. My boss the Conference Superintendent recommended me to him. I have enjoyed getting to know him, but even more I have enjoyed hearing him think. As we met today, I was struck anew at how fortunate I am for this experience. He is stretching me. That is not always comfortable ... but it is soooo important.

I have found over the years that the older an established congregation is, the more likely it is that we will get so caught up in "doing church" that we forget to "be the church". I do not want to play church, I want to be the hands and feet of Christ in a hurting and dark world. I want my church to make a difference, I want to make a difference.

So I will keep getting challenged and stretched and look at how to connect with my community. This is a good thing.

Just Connie

No comments: