Monday, October 10, 2011

A Different Life

15 years ago I lived a different life. I had a husband and family. I was happy in ministry and in my position in the world. Part of that life was a wonderful friendship with another family. We all meshed so well. I loved their children like my own and their extended family became part of my own. When my life blew apart it separated me from these friends that I loved.

Over the years that loss was a heavy grief for me. About a year ago I was able to make contact with these heart friends and then amazingly several months ago I was able to spend some time with them. It was an incredible blessing and I was thankful for the chance to rebuild.

Today I headed to OHSU because one of these friends, Cliff was having open heart surgery. it was hard for me to decide to go. I did not want to intrude, I just wanted to let them know I loved them.  I did not tell them I was coming, I just showed up, All of the extended family that I knew so well, so long ago were there. As I hugged and kissed them it felt like the years peeled back. We talked and laughed and laughed some more.

I drove home tonight with a heart full of love and gratefulness. Something that was so important to me, something that I had long grieved over was restored today. If I had stayed safely home I would not have had this wonderful time. And of course the best blessing was that Cliff came through the surgery very well.

Yes .....Sometimes the things that are the hardest to do are the most worthwhile.

Just Connie

No comments: