Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Roof Work

I spent the day on the roof of the old Willamina High School. I have to say that the view is wonderful from there. But I was not there to enjoy the view. I was there as part of a volunteer work crew to replace the leaky roof.

The roof of the high school is an amazing hodge-podge of buildings of different heights, ages and problems. Some parts of the roof feels squishy when you walk on it. They tell me that is not a good thing. So we spent the day peeling old roofing off, the prying the flashings and rotten wood off  as we came across it.

By late afternoon I was tired and my muscles were hurting. By five o clock my wrists and hands were protesting. It was heartening to find out that my fellow workers were also sore and tired. But we had gotten a lot done and tomorrow morning we will be at it once again.

All of this work, is reclaiming our former high school for a community center. That is more than worth a few sore muscles. I am excited for the possibilities this will bring to our commuity and our local agencies.

There are good things ahead.

Just Connie

No comments: