Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Women Clergy Group

Tonight I met with a group of women clergy. We were supposed to share our hearts in open and honest evaluation. We were asked this question "What unhealed hurt do you have in regards to your ministry?" As I prayed about that in my quiet time I realized that I did not have any unhealed hurts. I felt almost guilty that I had nothing of substance to share.

I also realized as I thought about it that my experience with the Free Methodists has been very positive. I feel like my gifts have been recognized and I have been offered a place of ministry commensurate with my gifts and skills. I have been given conference wide responsibility and I feel that I am not only tolerated but liked and appreciated by most of my fellow Free Methodist pastors.

I wish that my experience had been the case for all of my fellow women clergy. Many of them have struggled for acceptance and for  a place for meaningful ministry. My heart grieves for their hurts and yet I realize that their sacrifice paved the way for my very positive experience.

I think tonight was a positive step towards healing. I hope that we can keep the conversation going without acrimony and blame. I have a feeling that love will light the path before us if we are brave enough to take it.

Just Connie

No comments: