Tuesday, October 18, 2011

An Unlikely Friend

Kevin was an unlikely friend. He was the maintenance man at the Mission where I worked. But over the years I came to love him. He had a mild form of cerebral palsy and had had a stroke a couple of years before I met him. But neither of those things dimmed his cheerfulness and his unexpected wit and humor.

As we got to know each other, I also learned of his unfailing loyalty for those he loved. He tenderly watched out for me, teased me unmercifully and protected me. He encouraged me, worried about me and always helped me. He was a man of character and he added incredible dimensions to my life.

It was six years ago tonight that I pulled into my driveway to find two friends waiting for me. The look on their faces told me that something horrible had happened. Gently they let me know that my friend, my Kevin had a fatal heart attack.

His death impacted me, caused a deep grief that still brings tears to my eyes. But it was his life not his death that changed my life. Everything that he was brought new understanding and new experiences to me. I am very grateful for the years that I knew him.

So tonight I acknowledge an unlikely friend and extraordinary man, Kevin Stephenson ... I miss you Kev.

Just Connie

No comments: