Saturday, May 8, 2010

Friend Request

About 12 years ago my life blew apart at the seams. People that I had absolute trust and faith in turned away from me. It was a very painful time of my life. During that time I lost my family, my friends, my community, my job .... everything changed in the space of one year.

The hurt from that rejection has stayed with me through the years. Most of the time it lays quiet, but every once in a while that hurt and all the different emotions it brings jumps out at me. Today it jumped out at me in an unexpected way. It came through a Facebook Friend Request. I sat there and stared at the name as the emotions swirled around me. That name stirred up all the hurt and rejection I felt through those dark and difficult months.

I would love to say that I immediately clicked on "confirm friend" but I did not. I would love to say that I was swept by a feeling of forgiveness and warm feelings, but I was not. I have to admit that I was not sure I wanted to open the door to any more hurt and rejection. I stared at that name on and off all day, finally I took a deep breath and clicked confirm.

I was unsure if I had made the right choice and my heart pounded as I sat there and thought about what I had just done. But I have to believe that reaching beyond the hurt is a good thing. I think that it is the standard that God calls us to. I think that God could do miraculous things through this. I think that God could even bring healing and reconciliation through this.

"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.”- Romans 8:1-2

I just hope I do not get in the way of what God wants to do.

Just Connie

No comments: