Monday, May 17, 2010

My Friend Paul

I said goodbye to a friend today. I did not want to say goodbye, but I had no choice. My friend Paul died Sunday of cancer. I was stunned to hear the news ... stunned and saddened.

Since I got the news I have been reflecting on my memories of Paul. I have so many wonderful memories of him. We went to high school together and sang in the concert choir together. Of course so did 60 other people, but we became friends. You could not help but like Paul. He was funny and friendly and interested in everything. We  were also fellow "drama freaks". We had a wonderful time acting our hearts out.

The summer after I graduated a group of us all got jobs at McDonalds. We worked the night shift and would close together and then go out and bowl and then to breakfast. Our days off we would spend at the river, playing football and just hanging out. I so enjoyed just spending time with all of my friends.

I remember the night before I was married, he came over and tried to talk me out of it. He just knew that it was a bad idea and that I could do so much better. He talked and talked and I just hugged him and laughed.

Over the years I had lost track of Paul.  Three years ago he tracked me down through Classmates.com. He called and we talked on the phone for two hours, It was so good to hear from him and he was so excited over his marriage and new baby. Over the next months we would send occasional e-mails to each other but did not keep in close contact. The months slipped by so quickly and it seemed that there was all the time in the world to someday get together. But time ran out for us.

Paul's death is a reminder that we do not have all the time in the world. I want to do a better job of connecting with friends and family. I think it will not only take time, it will take intentional effort. I do not want to run out of time again.


"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven" Ecclesiastes 3:1

Time for everything .... yet tonight I can hear the clock ticking.

Just Connie

No comments: