Monday, May 10, 2010

My Friend Paul

Paul was a good friend in high school. He was in concert choir with me as well as being  a fellow drama freak. He was always entertaining and always upbeat. The summer after we graduated we worked together at a local McDonald's. Along with a large group of friends we spent the summer on the beach, at the bowling alley and just hanging out together. Those were golden wonderful days and I have such good memories of our times together.

When I came home from college to prepare for my wedding, Paul would come and visit with me, often bringing the whole group with him to hang out together. The night before my wedding he spent much time trying to change my mind. He kept telling me that marriage was a terrible idea and that my fiancee was no good for me. But he was there at the wedding the next day to wish me the best and to kiss me soundly on my departure.

Over the years we had lost track of each other. Every once in a while we would  see each other and get all caught up. Three years ago he tracked me down on Classmates.com. We talked for over an hour. It was wonderful to hear that he had married and had a new infant son. I teased him about starting a family in his old age, but I was so very glad for him.

Last week the news came that he was dying of cancer and this morning the news came that he had passed away last night. I am saddened to think that my friend is gone. I remember his humor, his enthusiasm and his loyalty to his friends. His life enriched my own life and I am thankful for the time that we spent together. I guess that is what friendship is all about.

Just Connie

1 comment:

t-dcrawford said...

He was a little wacky a little like his name. Do you think he might have tried to live up to it? I know he will be missed and as you say very upbeat. I am so sorry for your loss and his family and friends.