Sunday, January 12, 2014

Dinner Thoughts

Last night was the annual West Valley Fire District Awards Dinner. I always enjoy this evening relaxing with the crew, command staff and board members. I mean, how often do you get to have dinner with 50 handsome young men?


I really enjoy the opportunity to serve with the Fire Department. There are not many things we get to do in life where you know that you are making a life and death difference. The Fire Department is though ... everything I do that strengthens the Fire Department or the crew helps save lives.


I also play an interesting dual role. First of all I serve as a Chaplain and so I work very hard to develop relationships and trust. That way when the hard calls come, they will hopefully trust me enough to honestly share their heart. Secondly, I serve as on the Fire Board. That is an elected position that sets the policy and procedures for the Fire District to function well.


Nights like last night give me a renewed appreciation of what I am doing with the Fire Department. To see us all together like that is rather amazing. To get to know them beyond work is a wonderful blessing. Last night also reminded me that I really have a good life, a life that is making a difference.


I do not think that you can ask for any more than that ....


Just Connie

No comments: