Friday, January 24, 2014

Fearful

I have lived alone for 5 years. I have become comfortable and confident for the most part. But every once in a while something happens that makes me uneasy with the "things that go bump in the night". Last night I had one of those moments.


It was a normal kind of evening, I was watching TV and working on the computer and Hope Puppy was outside playing. As a border collie there is virtually nothing that scares her and her unfailing enthusiasm for life always cheers me. She normally will stand at the door and quietly woof for me to let her in. Last night she came racing up to the door with her tail between her legs and hit the door about 3 foot off the ground. I was not quite fast enough so she once again leaped into the air and hit the door. I rushed to the door and she ran in the room and hid behind my legs. I was totally stunned. I had never seen her run from anything. She chases the deer, the raccoons and anything else that comes into the yard. But here she was shaking, trying to tuck herself completely behind me.


I turned on the outdoor lights and peered out into the dark. But I saw nothing. I turned around just in time to see Hope Puppy dash into my bedroom where she promptly hid under the bed. And it was at that point that I decided if Hope was scared I needed to pay attention. I made sure all my security lights were on outside. I turned off the room lights and with my 357 and my cell phone on the table ... I watched.


But all remained quiet. Feeling uneasy, I decided to call it a night. I carefully made sure the house was locked and laid in bed thinking. I have never seen Hope react to some thing like that. I considered possibilities, probably not human unless they had hurt her and there was no yelping. Probably none of the usual animals ... and then I remembered ... our resident cougar. Yes .... that could have sent her in the house with her tail between her legs.


Feeling relieved as the pieces fell into place, I laughed at myself, coaxed Hope Puppy from underneath the bed and told her she was a smart doggie. She quickly hid herself behind my pillows and I snuggled into bed. Feeling at peace.


Another fear met and conquered. And I guess that is pretty much a large part of life on your own. I am thankful for resources, skills and a GREAT BIG GOD!


I would not want to do this without Him .....


Just Connie

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Whoo hoo. I figured out how to comment on your blog. Just hit no comments. Weird. Connie, I think that you are so brave. God gives us instincts to protect us. You did the right thing and you felt the right way. Glad you figured out what the problem was, but never worry about being too careful. I love you so very much.