Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Insurance at Last

I made the very first payment on my health insurance policy today. For the first time in 5 years beginning on February 1st, I will covered by health insurance. That is an amazingly good feeling. When I left the Mission and being covered by group coverage, I discovered quickly that by insurance standards I was considered uninsurable.


I have found that you make different kind of decisions when you do not have health insurance.
When I smashed my finger this last Fall I did not go and have it x-rayed. I looked at and said, "Yep, that's broken". When I fell down the stairs I can remember laying at the foot of the stairs and saying, "you cannot be hurt. You have no health insurance". At least in that case I really was not hurt, unfortunately the finger really was broken. Besides not having injuries treated, you also have a tendency to wait to long to go to the Dr when you are sick. You also do not always fill the prescriptions the doctor orders because they are so costly. Last year while I was sick, I found out that the inhalers that I had been using were just under $300. I almost fainted ... and did not refill any of them. So no insurance forces you to compromise some of your health choices.


But now I have options when I get sick or when I am injured and that feels pretty good. I have to admit that though I do not like the new Obamacare I really like being able to find insurance coverage. I really like being able to afford a policy. But I do not what this program has done with my friends who were previously insured and now are facing incredibly higher costs for the same or less coverage than they had before. And to be honest even though I am benefitting from this plan, I wish it had not been passed.


However, it did pass and at least for this year, I am covered and that feels pretty good.


Just Connie

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Connie, I am so happy for you. For the first time ever, we have no insurance. If you are chit chatting with God, perhaps you could ask him to send a couple of extra angels to watch over us until we can get through this next challenge in our life. Learning what it means to "Give us this day our daily bread." And you know what? It's so exciting to see how God provides. Love you.