Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Living Well


I have been having nightmares the last few weeks. I am pretty sure I know what has triggered them. But so far I have been unable to stop them. I have a feeling my subconscious might be working through some old memories … some rather ugly memories.

I think most of us have those times in life that leave tender spots and scars. When someone unintentionally brushes against it … it hurts. I think the trick is what we choose to do with those “spots” in our lives. I really do not want to be controlled by the bad things in my past. But it can be challenging to not let those painful, hurtful experiences take over our present and do more harm. So here are some of the things that I am committing to … to help live in the present, while learning from the past.

1.  Be connected – To God, to other people and to my community. There is potential danger in too much isolation. And other people can bring love and support into my daily life.

2.  Accept responsibility – For the things I have done, good, bad and everything in between. That means that sometimes there will be a price to pay and sometimes there will be unexpected blessings.

3.  Be realistic – Lay aside the expectations of a perfect world, a perfect life and live in the reality of the present

4.  Be honest – With myself, with other people. It takes much of the stress and guesswork out of life.

5.  Be forgiving – With other people and with myself. I cannot move ahead if I am burdened down with guilt I should not still be carrying

6.  Be generous – It changes my perspective, it changes me and it changes those around me

7.  Be brave – Face the past squarely, live today with victory and view tomorrow with hope

8.  Be a developer – Learn new things, help other people, build new friendships

9.  Choose hope – hard things happen and tough times come, know absolutely that there are better things ahead, it will remind me that God is in control and will bring me through the tough times.

10. Live in love – Love is always the right answer for God is love and all that live in Him, live in love

Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead,  I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:13-14

There are good things ahead ....

Just Connie


No comments: