Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Red Letter Day

This is a red letter day! No ... this is even bigger than a red letter day. I think I need to do a happy dance around my desk.


The occasion of all this celebrating came from paying bills this morning. I usually feel some relief when the money in the account and the bills go equal distance. But today I paid a very special bill. I made the very last payment in on the legacy my former husband left for me, a huge pile of debt. When the divorce was finalized I offered to take half of the debt. I paid off my half and then ... I discovered he  had no intention of paying anything on his part of the debt. I knew that creditors have no respect for divorce decrees and there was little I could do except begin to pay it off.


For the last 5 years I have been agonizingly making headway on what seemed to be an insurmountable problem. I have sacrificed, struggled and driven a car on its last legs to get this final debt paid off. And today it is finished ... completely done. I do not owe on anything but the house.


This is a pretty good feeling. It means I now have the money to pay for health insurance. I can now put money in my savings account. I can take a deep breath and begin to look at what my options are. Right now I am feeling that there is a huge weight off of my shoulders.


And that is a pretty good feeling ... I think it is time for my happy dance!


Just Connie

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh Connie. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Mostly, I am grateful for your integrity. And perhaps, like the rest of us, you own a piece of the Brown stubborness. How I wish you hadn't had to go through all of the financial difficulty. That being said, congratulations. Well done. Proud of you---and happy, happy for you.