Wednesday, January 29, 2014

House Fire

I pulled on my tall Fire Department boots and jumped into the Duty Rig. I had not planned on  hiking through a Fire Scene when I dressed in the morning and was feeling thankful for a pair of boots to tuck my slacks into. As we drove to the scene the Chief explained the fire of the night before. I listened intently as we pulled into the drive.


As I stepped out into the mud and the rain I could smell the acrid scent of burnt house. It is a terrible smell of wood, melted plastics and various materials that burn in any house fire. As we hiked up the hill to the house the smell grew in intensity and I wrinkled my nose as I tried to block the smell.


Stepping into the house I made my way to the site of the fire. I looked at the charred, wet flooring and gazed at large hole in the side of the house. As the chief snapped pictures I made my way to speak with the home owner who was packing up some clothing. Soot marked her face as she sorted through her smoke stained belongings. I could feel her sorrow and her fear as she worked and I wrapped my arms around her and hugged her.


As the Chief and I walked back to the Duty Rig I reflected on the very human side of fires and of the devastation those fires brings to their lives. It was a reminder that for every fire statistic I see there are tears  falling and lives that have been changed.


I pray that I never become hardened to the loss or to only see just the statistics. I think I need days like today to remind me.... to keep me connected with the people.


I actually think it is good to feel their pain .... but I have to admit it hurts.


Just Connie

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So touching. I cried. How lucky this lady was to have you and your gentle understanding touch. You did good.