Wednesday, January 8, 2014

My Day

I was in meetings today .... meetings all day long. One meeting after another. I have found that meetings are the reality of the life of a pastor. It began with the Chamber of Commerce meeting where I serve as Board Secretary. I take minutes while I eat my breakfast and harass the others. It is usually entertaining and good to be with people I have come to love and respect.


From there I headed down to the Fire Hall for the Board of Directors meeting. I am an actual elected official. I often wonder how I got to this place since I had never imagined that I would be. However, I have to say that I really enjoy my service with the Fire Department. I feel like I am doing something worthwhile and important, something that I am actually good at. So for the next hour we went over the audit, signed checks and worked on the management of the Fire District. Afterwards I took the time to sit and talk with the staff, since I also serve as chaplain I make sure that I am down at the Fire Hall often enough to get to know everyone.


But I had another meeting to head to so, I packed up and headed to the church where I meet with the chairmen of one of our committees. We went over protocols and procedures and tried to work out some bugs in our systems.


By the time that meeting was over I threw a frozen meal in the microwave and ate at my desk while I tried to go through the e-mail that had piled up while I was tied up with yesterday's work project. By the time my lunch was gone, my next meeting was knocking at the door. And for the next two hours I met with my associate pastor. I always love our weekly staff meeting and I am very thankful for the wonderful associate God has given me here. The church and I are both very fortunate to have her.


By the time I waved goodbye to her I had just enough time to pack up and run to the bank in Sheridan, stop at the store to grab dinner and head home. Now after making, dinner, cleaning up and finishing sorting my e-mail, I am about ready to call it a night.


Tomorrow I will pop out of bed at 6:00 and begin this cycle all over again. This is the exciting life of a pastor. You know I often say ..."if it wasn't for meetings I would have no social life at all".


Hmmm .... that must be a good thing ... right?


Just Connie

No comments: