Sunday, March 14, 2010

Form or Heart

Here it is Sunday once again. The day has been filled with busyness as Sundays seem to be. I have been teaching the adult Sunday School class since I was assigned to the Willamina Church. I love teaching, it is a joy to me. I am very glad for the opportunity.

We have been studying Proverbs. It is has been a good class and there has been some great discussion. In fact you never know what is going to come up and it really keeps me on my toes.This morning in class we were talking about the idea of obedience is better than sacrifice. In other words, God does not want the form of religion, he wants the hearts of men. It was a great discussion as we talked about how easy it was to get caught up in the form and ritual of our faith.

Today's discussion has been a good opportunity for me to reflect on my own life. As a pastor it is so easy to get caught up in "doing church" and forget that we are the church. It is all about my heart and my relationship with Christ. yes, we need committees and boards and the structure, but that needs to not be the focus of what we do and who we are.

In my own heart and life I do not want the "form of religion" I want the heart of Christ. I do not want to "do church" I want to "be the church". I want to be everything that God created me to be. To do that ... it will require all that I am. I think that is a very good thing.

"The Lord detests the sacrifice of the wicked but the prayer of the upright pleases him." Proverbs 15:8

Just Connie

No comments: