Monday, March 22, 2010

Pastoral Day

Today was one of those days that remind me of the unpredictability of ministry. Here are a few of the things I did today. I talked with someone who was broken hearted and weeping. I spoke with needy people needing financial help. I spoke with the sheriff, in fact several times. I spent several hours with friends who needed me. I worked on my sermon. I spoke with a salesman (I could have done without that)

All of those things really define the life of a pastor. It is not the quiet moments spent in prayer and reflection or even the 30 minutes spent preaching every Sunday. It is holding someone whose heart is breaking. It is holding the hands of someone who is dying. It is being on a first name basis with the sheriff. It is loving lavishly and being available to the hurting and needy.

Days like today fill me with the certainty of the rightness of my call to ministry. It felt right. All of it. I do not feel exhausted tonight, I feel complete. I feel .... well like a pastor.

"it was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelist and some to be pastors and teachers." Ephesians 4:11

Just Connie

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are truly an amazing Woman of God and a shining light of His love for me. Thank you for walking ahead, and beside me in your faith and letting Him lead. Thank you for walking OUT your faith and for 'living out loud' for YOUR LORD AND SAVIOUR. you are truly one of the only people I know that have a LORD AND SAVIOUR....you leave me speechless watching your relationship with the Creator...thank you for letting me tag along in your life Connie...amazing!!!!