Saturday, March 27, 2010

Sing! Sing! Sing!

As a small child I sang to everyone ... whether they wanted me to or not I sang. In grade school I sang in every choir and could sing loud and strong .... very loud. In high school I began to learn the mechanics of singing and was blessed to be in a top rate performance choir. In college I led worship in my church and sang wherever I went. Singing has always been an integral part of my life.

In college a car accident that sidelined me for a few years gave me the chance to learn to play guitar. The guitar soon became a part of who I was and gave me even more chances to sing.

Early in my ministerial career I served as a minister of music. It gave me ever expanding opportunities to sing. I led in worship and had a myriad of places that I could lift my voice and sing. It was during that time I found that that I loved harmony and was blessed for some years to sing as part of a quartet. That quartet brought me me great joy and we often sang just for the sheer pleasure of singing. As my ministry shifted more and more to pastoral ministry, I still had plenty of chances to sing.

Then came one of those huge shifts that can happen in life. For 10 years I was out of pastoral ministry and I found I had few opportunities to sing. The less I sang the less I wanted to. As things in my personal life became more challenging, I found that I had even less desire to sing. Over the years I discovered that I was not even picking up my guitar and singing for me.

Over the past 3 years, I have begun singing again. As God begins to heal my heart, a song begins to rise again. The more I sing, the more I want to sing. And there seems to be ever expanding opportunities to sing. I have even pulled the guitar out and begun playing again.

It feels good to sing. I think that for me singing is an expression of my heart. It is one of those things that God created me to do. Nothing feels better than being the person God created us to be. I think the new heart and new life God is giving me is showing.

I think it is time for me to sing a new song for a new life.

"Sing to the Lord a new song" Psalm 96:1

Just Connie

No comments: