Thursday, June 17, 2010

Drift Creek Falls

I woke up congested and still fighting the head cold. So being a responsible adult like I am, I filled myself with aspirin and cold meds and joined the neighbor for a hike.

We headed to Drift Creek Falls which is a short hike, but a very pretty one. It is also 30 minutes from the house so it is one that I head to often.

It was misty and cool as we unloaded, strapped our packs on and headed down into the canyon. We had gone about a mile when it began to rain steady and hard. We laughed pulled our hoods on and kept going and enjoyed the lush green scenery.

By the time we reached the bridge the rain had settled down to a gentle mist again. The suspension bridge stretches 100 feet above the canyon floor. The 75 foot Drift Creek Falls thunders alongside the bridge. It is always a thrill to stand on  the swaying bridge and watch the Falls. From there, we kept going and slowly wound our way down to the base of the falls where we ate our lunch.

Following a wet lunch and short break we headed back up the canyon. Moving as quickly as my old bones would move we headed back to a nice warm dry car. It rained on and off as we climbed. By the time we reached the car we were wet muddy and winded, but very satisfied.

So here I am tonight curled up in front of the fire . I think it is about time to go and find some more cold meds. It is really good to be a responsible adult.

Just Connie

No comments: