Saturday, June 19, 2010

Hospital Call

Unexpected phone calls are part of a pastor's life. Last night I medicated my head cold and headed to bed fairly early. It was about 10:00 that I got the call that sent me rushing for my clothes, car keys and directions to Providence Milwaukie Hospital. As I drove I thought about the man I was about to see.

Gene is a retired pastor that I had the privilege to pastor for a year. The doctors were saying that his heartbeat was erratic and they were not sure he was going to make it. As I drove to the hospital I thought back to the year that I got to know and love him. He was full of knowledge and I often enjoyed his perspective. He was also  verbal in offering opinions which sometimes made him uncomfortable for people. But I always had a respect for him and was thankful for his depth and maturity.

On a day that I  will never forget I learned what kind of man Gene was. It was the day that I had to stand before the congregation and tell them my husband had left. I was honest and shared from my heart. I told them of his drinking and unpredictable behavior. I chokingly told them that I did not know where he was. Only that he was gone and was not coming back. As I stood before the quiet congregation sobbing, Gene stood up and came forward and placed his hand on my shoulder. He spoke words of comfort and strength. As he spoke others began to come forward., First one and then another and yet another until finally all of the congregation stood with me to offer their love and support. I will never forget that Gene stood alone and made the long walk to the front of the church to stand with me when my world had blown up around me.

Last night I was privileged to stand beside Gene and offer him love and support. I was further  thrilled as he responded to medications and his heartbeat began a normal rhythm. He is recovering and might soon be moved from intensive care.

When you think about it, what more precious gift can we offer than to stand alongside each other when life is difficult? So often it is not the words that we say, it is the touch of our hand and the love on our faces that really count. So perhaps ... less words and more doing. That sounds like a pretty big job.

Just Connie

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing...I love this entry Connie you shared your heart and that just touches my heart! I love you sooo