Monday, July 5, 2010

4th of July

4th of July in Willamina is wonderful. The whole town celebrates. My day began early as I met the work force at the church and we began to set up our church booth and the tents to sell Elephant Ears. As they set up I prepared for our morning worship service and began to greet the people who were coming in for church. We had lots of visitors and everyone was in an upbeat mood. We had a great service and people left with smiles and anticipation for the days events. By the time church was over we had Elephant Ears cooking and hungry people coming to eat.

As the afternoon went on, I dressed up Charlie my sheep dog in her 4th of July outfit and took her down to the church to get ready for the parade. We got the float decorated and headed to the staging area. It was incredible to see all the entries. high school cheerleaders, square dancers, log trucks, racing teams, horses and so much more. It was  even more fun when the church float took 1st place. The parade itself was a hoot. Everyone loved Charlie and she enjoyed every minute of the attention she was getting.

After walking the parade route, I walked back to the church and we began the long process of taking everything down and putting it away. By 9:00 I was heading to my friends to watch the fireworks from their place. All of the children and grandchildren were there and it was so wonderful to be in the midst of a family. Watching the children with their fireworks was almost as much fun as the firework show itself.

By 11:00 I was heading home, tired but happy and so grateful. Grateful for the community I live in, grateful for the wonderful church God has brought me to. Grateful and happy and that is a good way to be.

No comments: