Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Those Moments

I was  finishing up the last painting touch up in my office at the church. The end was insight, I was balanced on a bar stool on the top step while I tried to paint above the doorway when it happened. I tried to step down and lost my balance. All of those years of gymnastics held me in good stead as I twisted and landed on my feet. However, the bucket of paint did not do quite so well.

I stood there and gazed with horror at the pools of paint seeping into the carpet and running down the carpeted stairs. I picked up the paint paraphernalia and sprinted for the kitchen and filled pitchers with water and sprinted back and began pouring water on the paint and trying to keep it from setting into the carpet too deeply. Then I jumped in the car and drove home and grabbed my carpet shampooer and raced back to the church. There I began the long process of pouring gallons of water on the paint and then extracting it with the shampooer.

At the end of an hour I stood there and weakly leaned on the shampooer as I looked at the carpet. There was no sign of paint. I could have cried with relief and exhaustion. I slowly packed everything up and decided that I had probably painted enough.

Those moments .... those moments that all of us have. You know the moments when things turn suddenly and instantly bad. These are the moments that can unhinge us, ruin a day  or cause us to rise to the challenge. I think today I ended up somewhere in the middle. I have to say that I felt pretty unhinged. I am blessed that it seems to have turned out much better than I deserved. Tomorrow is another day, I guess I will try harder.

"For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all" 2 Corinthians 4:17.


Just Connie

No comments: