Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Night Attack

I woke up gasping for breath. Rolling over I fumbled in my nightstand trying to find my rescue inhaler. Each breath got more difficult. I tried desperately to take the medicine into my lungs but realized that it was getting harder and harder to breath. Again and again I tried the meds. Dizzily I staggered into the bathroom each breath  a loud rasping wheeze for air.

I grabbed my cell phone, realizing that if I had to call for help I had a very narrow window that I would be able to. I stood there holding to the counter trying to decide if this wheezing breath was better or worse than the last one. Finally, I realized that there was some improvement and that is when I began throwing up. Gasping and retching I lay on the bathroom floor just trying to stay conscious. Finally, shakily I was able to breathe in and breathe out; wheezing and rattling but still breathing.

Last night was frightening for me. It is rare for me to have a serious asthma attack and it is the first one I have had when I have been all alone. As I stood there last night struggling to breathe I realized that I had to make the right decision. There was no backup, no one to check on me. My very life was depending on my own wisdom.

I was fortunate that last night I made the right decision. I am praying that I continue to make wise choices. Since I am fairly positive that kind of wisdom is not found in me, I will have to find it in Christ.

“I will never forget your precepts, for by them you have preserved my life.”  Psalm 119:93

Just Connie

No comments: