Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Project

The project has officially begun. The dust is flying and things are all torn apart. After living here for over 6 years the process has begun to transform the family room. From a dark hardly usable space I am hoping over the next weeks it will become light and bright with usable space.

I am now trying to dismantle the current hearth which is a huge for to ceiling brick monstrosity that takes up a quarter of the entire family room. This is a pretty tough part of the process. I think the mortar they used was supposed to last for at least several hundred years. The other thing that makes the hearth decommissioning difficult is that the hearth is the special domain of Bubba Bunny. Bubba rules his kingdom with an iron paw. He does not tolerate strange things left on the hearth, moving things around on the hearth or fussing with his nest box or food dishes. So when I came and began to take it apart with a hammer and chisel he began stomping his little bunny foot at me. (The bunny equivalent of flipping me off) Right now I have  about 1/4 of the base taken apart. I am trying hard to get it finished before the work crew begins on Monday.

Tonight as I worked he kept trying to push under my hand holding the chisel. I kept pushing him away before he got clipped by the hammer. But every piece I took off and every brick I removed he had to personally check out.

So tomorrow I will begin to box all the loose items up and put them away until after the project is finished. I will work some more on the hearth and get things ready for the crew on Monday. There is transformation around the corner and I am ready for it to happen. Inf act I am ready to be part of the process.

Just Connie

No comments: