Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Dark Morning

Disoriented I gazed into the darkness and tried to orientate myself. The darkness was so complete .... too complete. There was no glow of the clock, no digital readout on0 the TV .... the power was off. I got up and looked out on the dark street .... the very dark street. There were no lights anywhere to be seen. I grabbed the lantern and began to clean up and dress. No shower .... too cold .... no heat so I dressed quickly. By lantern light I put my makeup on hoping that the electricity would soon come back on ..... but no electricity.

I finally decided I would drive down to our local restaurant and see if they had power. Pulling into their parking lot it was apparent that there was no power anywhere in town. Everything was dark, but still hoping for some heat, hot tea and company I walked into the candle lit restaurant.

I not only found hot tea and heat, but the gas grill was working so I actually got an omelet. I sat there and chatted with the others who were seeking food and heat. It was a small group of regulars and as I sat there with them in the candlelight, I was filled with a sense of belonging. It is a good feeling to be surrounded by community, people who know you and enjoy you.

I have to say that I love this community God has brought me to. I am so grateful for the love and acceptance I have found here.

No comments: