Thursday, April 21, 2011

People Plans

I sighed as yet another person knocked on my office door. Some days are just like that and today I had a long stream of drop in visitors. I am usually very glad to see people and glad that they can drop in, but today? Today it was harder to be glad. I was staring at a list of things that needed to be finished ... things with a deadline. I had board meeting tonight with board reports to get run off and agendas to prepare. I also needed to finish writing the newsletter and hopefully get it to the secretary before she left for the day. That possibility seemed to get farther and farther away with every visitor.

But here it is late afternoon and the office is quiet. No visitors, the newsletter is finished and all of the Board items are done and ready for tonight's meeting. Everything seemed to have gotten done that had to be done. Yes, there are still some things I could do (there are always more things to do) but the "have tos" are done.

I am reminded as I think back over my day, that real ministry is not in the agenda and other things I was so busy doing, real ministry is the people. It is connecting lives in the laughter and the tears and everything else those drop in visitors brought with them.

I am glad that real ministry happened today in spite of my plans.....

Just Connie

No comments: