Saturday, April 16, 2011

Insurance Woes

I have always had insurance. I have been part of group policies in every job that I have had. I never thought that much about it. It was just always there. Recently, I have been giving it a lot of thought.

As a pastor I am considered self employed. When I was pastoring with the Nazarene Church we had a state wide group policy available to us. But the Free Methodists have no group policy, I need individual insurance. I applied with the company who had been my carrier for the last 12 years. I did not think that was going to be a problem. I was wrong, it was a problem.

Today I got a phone call that told me that company number three has turned me down. It seems that I am considered uninsurable. That really surprises me because I feel healthy and well. I exercise 5 days a week at the gym and I am active on the weekends. But it seems that in the eyes of the insurance companies I am considered a poor risk because of one little problem. I have Hepatitis C. It was a "gift" given to me by my husband. It is a "gift" that carries potentially fatal consequences. I have learned to live with it and have found a balance that protects me from most of the symptoms. Most people have no idea that I have it.

I find that this issue of insurance really bothers me. It is very scary to be without that safety net. I am trying to be creative, but it looks like I am running out of options. I am meeting with an agency next week to see if they can come up with any other options. I am hoping for options.

Sigh ..... of all the things my husband did to me, this is the one that rears its ugly head the most. It is a good reminder to me that sin has consequences and sometimes those consequences strike innocent lives. This reminder calls me live in God's presence and grace in a way that will not hurt those around me. And that should keep me busy for awhile ......

Just Connie

1 comment:

caro_watt said...

You are in my heart and prayers. No insurance IS scary. I have been there. I love you!