Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Small Town Thoughts

I love life in a small rural community. I love the feeling of being connected with other people as we live our lives together. I grew up that way. In Burlington, the town I grew up in, we knew everybody and that always gave me the feeling that other people were there to back me up.

There are many ways that living in Willamina has taken me back to that time. But there are some things that are very different, Willamina is actually a larger town than what I grew up in. We have a mayor and a city council here. We also have a Chamber of Commerce and other civic groups to help the community.

When I was assigned to Willamina as a pastor, it was important to me to be involved in the community, to have a voice in what was happening and to give back to the community in a very tangible way. So I joined the Chamber of Commerce and the EID which is the "Economic Improvement District". (the church is on Main street) I even joined the Kiwanis. Like me, many of the same faces pop up in all of those groups.

Recently, I have been elected to some board positions in these groups. That really keeps me plugged in and keeps me at the center of community life. It sometimes keeps me going to meetings and more meetings, but the outcome has been worth it.

I am of the opinion that God hard wired me for small town life. I know that I need other people and that this feeling of connectedness is part of my overall health. I find that I am still learning new things about myself and about what I need. I am glad to be in a place where I can explore these boundaries and build a life that is glorifying to God and healthy for me. Those things should never be at odds with each other.... and yet in church life they so often are, But not for me!

So onward and upward .... there are no limits.

Just Connie

No comments: