Thursday, April 28, 2011

Friendship

I have been reflecting on the nature of friendship.  I have found that friendship is a pretty rare commodity. It seems that  to find someone who meshes with you who is also committed to friendship is an uncommon occurrence. I would love to say that I have assiduously nurtured all my friendships .... but that would not be true.

Some of my friendships have been impacted by a change in geography, some have slowly grown apart as diverse viewpoints became too great. Others have been impacted by hurt. Either my own personal hurt and fears or theirs ... sometimes even both of us.

Over a decade ago my life was devastated when my husband came home, handed me a letter and then waltzed off to a new life and a new love. That pain ripped through my life and still has reverberations today. One of the most painful reverberation was the loss of friendships that were incredibly important to me. That loss put me in an isolation that was unfamiliar, painful and very unwelcome.

Over this past two years, God has been slowly restoring some of the losses in my life. Each thing that has been restored has amazed me and reminded me anew of how precious these gifts are. One of those has been the restoration of my heart friend. I had no expectation that this would be given to me ... in fact I have to say that I was too fearful and hurt to even say that I wanted it. But I did. and I have such joy and such wonder that this could happen.

Besides my absolute gratitude for this gift, I am wondering what other wonderful things God has in store for me? I have a feeling that the best is yet to come.

Just Connie

1 comment:

Finchie2 said...

You are beyond a shadow of a doubt an awesome friend to many Connie. I miss you more than you will ever know and understand the loss of closeness due to geography. You have laughed with me and cried with me as well. We have prayed for our mutual children and chatted on the phone, Facebook and YoVille. However, when the time finally comes that I get to see your shining and beautiful face again, I will be overjoyed!!
Love you and count it as a treasure and privilege to call you my friend.