Sunday, June 5, 2011

Forgiving Me

Today I preached the third installment in the Forgiveness series. Today it was "Forgiving Me". This is an area that I struggle with. I say that I am a work in progress, but yet when I fail I spend way too much time beating myself up. So today's sermon was for me.

Forgiving Me


Peter is a good model for us when we  think of failure and forgiveness. We see see him in John 18 denying Christ. In Acts we see him take up the mantle of Church leadership. He did not stay at the point of his failure. Too often when we fail we camp at that spot. Peter moved on. There are life lessons for us in how we deal with our failures and mistakes.
Steps to Forgiving Me

1. Recognize we need it

2. Be willing to feel the feelings

3. Tough it through the hard part

4. Recognize who the “Accuser of the brethren” is

5. I deserve it because Christ died for me

6. Know that Jesus is bigger than our shame and pain

We will never step into the hope of tomorrow while we are tied to the failure of the past. It is time to break the chains of shame and find freedom.


Thought For Today
There are no tomorrows when I live in yesterday

No comments: