Friday, June 3, 2011

Raccoon Wars 2011

I was visited last night .... in fact I have been visited the last three nights. In my nice quiet rural neighborhood we have several critter problems. By far the most frustrating to me are the raccoons. I have a ritual that I follow every night. I go outside and bring the dog food bowl inside. Then I carefully balance a metal lawn chair on top of the 50 gallon garbage car that holds the bulk dog food (my burglar alarm system). Then I put the broom and the pellet gun by the door and go to bed.

When there are raccoons in the area my nice gentle, would not hurt anything sheep dog turns into a snarling, lunging mass of fangs and hair. So you get the picture. I am awakened by the sheepdog throwing herself against the patio door. If the raccoons have not run, I go out and smack them with the broom. If they still will not give sway or if the dogs somehow get out in the process then the pellet gun comes out. It starts about 11:00pm and goes to about 4:00 in the morning. Up and down, up and down .... each time with my ears ringing and my adrenaline pumping I try to go back to sleep. Only to have it happen all over again. This will go on for a few nights and then they will give up for a while. ... And then one night they will suddenly reappear.

I am tired and I am cranky ... and all too ready for these visitors to go away and visit someone else.

In fact I would be more than happy to send the cute little things your way. Any takers?

Just Connie

No comments: