Monday, June 27, 2011

Snake Lesson

A while back I had a mowing diaster .... I mowed over a snake. Before I knew it, snake pieces were  sprayed across my front yard. It was even more horrifying to me than the snake in its entirety. I beat a fast retreat and solved the whole issue by not dealing with it at all. I laughingly told my father that I was planning on stringing hazard tape around the yard and not looking till September.

But the day came this past week when I knew that I had to do something about it before the grass was waist high, because there was no way I was going to mow over the snake pieces and make more snake pieces. So I put on long pants, a long sleeve shirt, wrapped myself in layers of protective gear, got the longest shovel that I could find and slowly approached the front lawn. With fear and trembling I walked the lawn, looking for snake pieces to pick up. Step by step I forced myself to look. And you know what? There were no snake pieces! It seems the local critters liked them as much as I disliked them.

So in this silly story there are lessons for me. First of all, I learned that the dread of the task was much worse than the actual task. The next lesson that struck me was that sometimes the things I fear the most do not even exist. And the last lesson is that the worst job is begun with a single step ...just one step in the right direction.

So this week God taught me a lesson with snake pieces, Who says he has no sense of humor? In fact I think I can hear Him laughing now.

Just Connie

No comments: