Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Groups

I have spent the evening trying to placate a 12 year old girl. She cried, she wailed, she was rude and just about everything in between. It has been a long time since I have spent any time with that age group, let alone one with that kind of attitude. Most preteens are on pretty good behavior around the pastor. This one most definitely was not. I finally sat her down and had some stern words with her. About what was acceptable behavior in a group and what was not. She was pretty shocked, but she also quieted down and her behavior became a bit more acceptable.

It has reminded me of how important those social norms are. I can look at this young lady and see what a rocky road she has ahead of her if she cannot learn how to behave in a group. And we need groups in our lives. Groups give us a place to belong and be accepted. Groups give us the complexity of multiple relationships, personalities and needs. Groups give us a richness in our lives that we do not have in ourselves alone.

I pray for this young lady that she will find the all of those things. I pray that I will know how to help her on this journey.

Just Connie

No comments: