Friday, July 24, 2009

Asking & Being

It has been a rather laid back day. I washed the dogs (outside) and brushed them out. Between the two of them that is a major part of any day. But it is immensely easier when the weather is good. That only means a large bottle of shampoo and the garden hose and a couple of towels. That is one task behind me for a couple of weeks anyway.

I keep plugging away at the house. I am still finding things to carry up to the attic. I have a large pile of stuff stacked in the dining room waiting to go up. It is a major undertaking to take stuff up to the attic. My ladder is about a foot shorter than I need to get up in the attic easily. That means I have to stand on the tippy top of the ladder and pull myself up by my arms. Which, means I can’t have anything in my arms. It is really a two person job. I find that I hate asking for help. I am considering asking one of the neighbor boys to come down and help me. … sigh…. I just hate asking.

It makes me wonder why I hate asking for help. What is it that makes it so hard? I know that I am somewhat driven to excel. I also know that I want people to think well of me. But do those things keep me from reaching out when I need to? I think that sometimes it might. Neither of those desires are wrong in themselves, but I guess it needs to be balanced. I need to not let my desire to do well, mask my needs or keep me from being honest with people.

If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!” Ecclesiastes 4:10

I will work harder at asking for help. I know that there are friends and neighbors who would be glad to help. It is just a matter of being transparent. I think I will have to work at this. I am a work in progress.

Just Connie

No comments: