Friday, July 10, 2009

Sorting History

Today I sorted through decades of papers. It represented the lifetime of a church congregation. There were piles and piles of papers, reports and papers that are generated in the day in and day out of running a church. It was rather overwhelming. To keep or not to keep? That was the question.

As I leafed through the flotsam, I was rather saddened. I have never closed a church before and I have found it to be a painful process. The pain of the congregation, the differing opinions of what should be done … all of those things have been hard to wade through.

Today was hard in several ways. First it was physically hard. I hauled cases and boxes of financial records in a very hot building. Secondly, I was alone. That means there was no one to offer an opinion or to soften the harsh edges. Thirdly, I did not get completely done. That means I have to go back and finish up next week. Fourthly it was just a sad task.

All in all, I found this to be a very emotionally draining day. Like much of the past 8 months I will just have to tough it out and keep moving ahead. Tomorrow is still a new day. I am thankful for that. I will recharge and refresh and try to meet the new day with optimism and peace.

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

How thankful I am for the hope of a new day.

Just Connie

No comments: